Welsh Accent Learning Materials
- The Welsh accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, including practice sentences in both a male and female voice, and leading you through a practice monologue.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three additional formats of the ebook: a PDF file to print, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- You'll hear a number of recordings of native speakers, most of which Jim gathered while traveling through Wales. You'll get a PDF transcript of their conversations so that you can follow along as you listen.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Dancing at Lughnasa, Under Milkwood and other plays. You also hear it in films like The Englishman who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain.
- The Welsh accent can seem a bit like a Northern Irish or Dublin Irish accent to some, and it also has some elements of a Scottish accent in it. It definitely shares some qualities with other accents of England, such as the accent of Yorkshire.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free! (last update: 2019)
5% of all profits on AccentHelp accents go to food banks.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (116.1MB, 151 minutes)
Welsh Vol 1: Learning the Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (15:04)
- Changes to R Sounds (8:30)
- Consonant sound changes (6:50)
- Vowel sound changes (12:18)
- changes to Diphthongs (5:29)
- Practice Sentences (3:17)
- Text Practice on Sounds (26:26)
- Intonation & Placement Practice (15:03)
- Monologue Example (3:29)
Welsh Vol 2: Native Speakers
- Male from Llanelli reading (:53)
- + his conversation (2:05)
- Female from Caerphilly reading (1:29)
- + her conversation (2:10)
- Female from Erwood reading (1:37)
- + her conversation (3:54)
- Female from Corwen reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (3:41)
- Male from Corwen reading (1:21)
- + his conversation (3:52)
- Male from Cardiff reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (2:12)
- Actress demonstrating Welsh (2:24)
- Female from Cardiff reading (1:21)
- + her conversation (2:09)
- Male from Carmarthen reading (1:14)
- + his conversation (2:19)
- Male from Cardiff reading (1:29)
- + his conversation (8:01)
- Male from Newport reading (1:46)
- + his conversation (7:54)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.