Listen to a sample now!
Irish Accent: Dublin
This download focuses on learning a Dublin Irish accent, including recordings of Dublin natives and others from nearby suburbs. There is a lot in common with accents of the northern parts of Ireland, but it's quite different from the accents of the west and south of Ireland.
Dublin Irish Accent Learning Materials
- The Dublin accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered many of these recordings during a trip to Ireland - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written teaching materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers. You'll also get transcripts of all of the conversations with native speakers in PDF format.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Juno and the Paycock and other plays. You also hear it in films like The Commitments and Once and from people like Colin Farrell.
- Dublin accents have a lot in common with northern Irish accents. These can both be quite different from the accents of South & West Ireland.
Audio files in Two Volumes (129.1 MB, 134 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (5:07)
- Consonant sound changes for learning Dublin accents (12:03)
- Vowel changes in accents of North Dublin (6:32)
- Changes in Diphthongs for Dublin Irish accents (6:35)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in Dublin accents (1:53)
- Practice Sentences recap for Dublin dialects (3:49)
- Practice with Sound Changes using a monologue (21:36)
- Practice with Intonation & Placement (13:26)
- Demonstration of the Practice Monologue (2:01)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers in & near Dublin Ireland
- W Dublin Ballyfermot Male reading (1:05)
- + his conversation (3:40)
- N Dublin Male reading (:55)
- + his conversation (4:09)
- N Dublin Male reading (:56)
- + his conversation (2:56)
- N Dublin Donaghmede Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (6:16)
- Skerries Female reading (1:04)
- + her conversation (:57)
- S Dublin 16 Female reading (1:02)
- + her conversation (4:46)
- N Dublin Male reading (1:26)
- + his conversation (3:47)
- Wicklow Male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (7:28)
- Skerries Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (5:16)
- Dublin Male reading (1:33)
- + his conversation (2:03)
- N Dublin Ballymun Male reading (1:08)
- + his conversation (1:57)
- S Dublin Perrystown Female reading (1:16)
- + her conversation (2:58)
- Kilkenny/Dublin Male reading (1:17)
- + his conversation (1:05)
- N Dublin Male reading (1:17)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.