Listen to a sample now!
Irish Accent: South & West
This download focuses on learning the Irish accents of the South and West, including recordings of natives from Cork, Kerry, Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Claire, and the Aran Islands. This is the more stereotypical Irish accent - the "Lucky Charms" accent is the cartoon version of this.
Southern Irish Accent Learning Materials
- The Irish: South & West accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered most of these recordings during an extended trip to Ireland - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written teaching materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers. You can follow along with the native speaker recordings in PDFs included with the other volumes.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Lieutenant of Inishmore, Playboy of the Western World, Disco Pigs and other plays. You also hear it in films like Angela's Ashes, Circle of Friends and Waking Ned Devine.
- SouthWestern Irish accents are quite different from northern Irish accents and the accents of Dublin.
Audio files in Three Volumes (199.3mb, 209 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints for Irish: South & West accents (11:29)
- Consonant sound changes for learning an Irish accent (11:20)
- Vowel sound changes for learning this Irish accent (7:59)
- changes to Diphthongs (7:59)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words when speaking an Irish accent (5:05)
- Wrap up to Irish: South & West accents for actors (2:34)
- Text Practice (19:17)
- Text Intonation (10:19)
- Text Example (1:55)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers
- Cork Female reading (1:14)
- + her conversation (7:13)
- Loch Garman Wexford Male reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (2:24)
- Wexford Female reading (1:21)
- + her conversation (4:00)
- Rossmore Cork Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (8:30)
- Cobh Cork Male reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (6:03)
- Annascaul Kerry Males conversation (3:00)
- Cork-Dingle Female reading (1:16)
- + her conversation (5:03)
- Dingle Kerry Male reading (1:37)
- + his conversation (2:08)
- Two Killarney Males reading (1:59)
- + their conversation (6:11)
- Limerick City Female reading (1:02)
- Limerick City Male reading (1:18)
- + their conversation (8:54)
- Currow Kerry Male reading (:57)
- + his conversation (3:20)
- Cobh Cork Female reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (3:46)
- County Claire Female reading (:48)
- + her conversation (4:03)
- Claire Male reading (1:50)
- + his conversation (:57)
- Galway City Female reading (1:05)
- + her conversation (5:45)
Volume 3: More Recordings of Native Speakers
- County Galway Female reading (1:20)
- + her conversation (5:52)
- Sligo Female reading (1:05)
- + her conversation (6:10)
- Galway City Male reading (1:01)
- + his conversation (6:34)
- Galway City Female reading (:59)
- + her conversation (8:33)
- Aran Islands Female conversation (9:33)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.