Irish Accent: South & West
South & West Irish Accent Learning Materials
- The Irish: South & West accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with coach Carolyn Johnson. Jim also leads you through applying the accent to a practice monologue.
- Jim gathered most of the native speaker recordings during an extended trip to Ireland - bringing the experience back to you in this download. You'll be able to follow along with their conversations with the PDF transcript.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF file to print, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Lieutenant of Inishmore, Playboy of the Western World, Disco Pigs and other plays. You also hear it in films like Angela's Ashes, Circle of Friends and Waking Ned Devine.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Three Volumes (199.3mb, 209 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints for Irish: South & West accents (11:29)
- Consonant sound changes for learning an Irish accent (11:20)
- Vowel sound changes for learning this Irish accent (7:59)
- changes to Diphthongs (7:59)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words when speaking an Irish accent (5:05)
- Wrap up to Irish: South & West accents for actors (2:34)
- Text Practice (19:17)
- Text Intonation (10:19)
- Text Example (1:55)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers
- Cork Female reading (1:14)
- + her conversation (7:13)
- Loch Garman Wexford Male reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (2:24)
- Wexford Female reading (1:21)
- + her conversation (4:00)
- Rossmore Cork Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (8:30)
- Cobh Cork Male reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (6:03)
- Annascaul Kerry Males conversation (3:00)
- Cork-Dingle Female reading (1:16)
- + her conversation (5:03)
- Dingle Kerry Male reading (1:37)
- + his conversation (2:08)
- Two Killarney Males reading (1:59)
- + their conversation (6:11)
- Limerick City Female reading (1:02)
- Limerick City Male reading (1:18)
- + their conversation (8:54)
- Currow Kerry Male reading (:57)
- + his conversation (3:20)
- Cobh Cork Female reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (3:46)
- County Claire Female reading (:48)
- + her conversation (4:03)
- Claire Male reading (1:50)
- + his conversation (:57)
- Galway City Female reading (1:05)
- + her conversation (5:45)
Volume 3: More Recordings of Native Speakers
- County Galway Female reading (1:20)
- + her conversation (5:52)
- Sligo Female reading (1:05)
- + her conversation (6:10)
- Galway City Male reading (1:01)
- + his conversation (6:34)
- Galway City Female reading (:59)
- + her conversation (8:33)
- Aran Islands Female conversation (9:33)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.