Listen to a sample now!
Scottish accents can actually vary a good deal. Commonly Glasgow is considered one of the thickest accents in Scotland, while Edinburgh is perhaps the lightest - but the two are only about 50 miles apart! Very few people still speak the Scots language today, but it has definitely had a grrreat influence on the dialect!
Scottish Accent Learning Materials
- The Scottish accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Jim Johnson and Carolyn Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered many of these recordings on trips to Scotland - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and other plays. You also hear it in films like Shallow Grave and from people like Craig Ferguson.
- This download includes BONUS tracks of coach Jim Johnson leading through a practice monologue in Scottish - and a second volume of native speakers for FREE! (You'll get future additions and updates free, as well.)
- The Scottish accent varies throughout the country, but each of the accents is similar enough that it's one of the more distinct accents. It also had a big influence on the accents of Northern Ireland due to a lot of immigration there in the 17th century. They're only 12 miles apart!
Scottish Volume 1 Audio Files (91.2MB, 93 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints for learning a Scottish accent (4:44)
- Consonant sound changes for speaking with a Scots accent (13:54)
- Vowel sound changes for Scottish (6:46)
- changes to Diphthongs in a Scottish accent (5:37)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words and names when speaking with a Scottish accent (2:46)
- Wrap up on learning a Scottish accent (1:51)
- Fraserburgh Scotland Female reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (2:49)
- Aberdeen Scotland Male reading (1:35)
- + his conversation (6:57)
- Aviemore Scotland Female reading (:55)
- + her conversation (2:03)
- Glasgow Scotland Male reading (1:21)
- + his conversation (4:42)
- Glasgow Scotland Female reading (1:19)
- + her conversation (5:08)
- Edinburgh Scotland Male reading (1:02)
- + his conversation (2:18)
- Edinburgh Scotland Female reading (1:19)
- + her conversation (3:43)
- Edinburgh Scotland Male reading (:51)
- + his conversation (:50)
- BONUS Text Practice (16:00)
- BONUS Text Intonation (3:43)
- BONUS Text Example (1:14)
Scottish Vol. 2 - included for FREE (58.5MB, 64 minutes)
- Glasgow Scotland Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (3:45)
- Edinburgh Scotland Male reading (1:18)
- + his conversation (4:04)
- Scottish Couple's conversation (8:21)
- Sterling Scotland Female reading (1:06)
- + her conversation (4:31)
- Aberdeen Scotland Female reading (1:36)
- + her conversation (6:38)
- Glasgow Scotland Female reading (1:38)
- + her conversation (2:08)
- Speanbridge Scotland Male reading (1:07)
- + his conversation (2:03)
- Ythanback Scotland Male reading (1:11)
- + his conversation (3:12)
- Scotland Female reading (1:22)
- + her conversation (1:19)
- Glasgow Scotland Male reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (5:54)
- Glasgow Scotland Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (4:33)
- Glasgow Scotland Male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (3:14)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.