West Country Accents
West Country Accent Learning Materials
- The West Country accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with a female voice for the practice sentences. Jim will also lead you through a monologue in this accent.
- There are also recordings of native speakers reading and in conversation, and you'll be able to follow along with a PDF transcript of these conversations.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF to print, a MOBI for Kindle, and an EPUB for other portable readers.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Our Country's Good, War Horse, and The Hound of the Baskervilles, and you'll hear it from Hagrid and in the film Hot Fuzz.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits on AccentHelp accents go to food banks.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (281.7 MB, 179 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (14:53)
- The R Sound in a West Country accent (7:51)
- Other Consonant sound changes (9:20)
- Vowel changes (9:38)
- Vowel changes continued (10:34)
- Changes in Diphthongs (7:42)
- Practice Sentences recap (2:10) )
- Practice with Sound Changes using a monologue Part 1 (9:27) )
- Practice with Sound Changes Part 2 (9:02)
- Practice with Sound Changes Part 3 (7:18)
- Practice with Intonation & Placement (10:30)
- Demonstrations of the Practice Monologue (3:09)
- Non-Rhotic versions of the Practice Sentences & Monologue (4:23)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers
- Wiltshire-Somerset-Cornwall Male reading (1:41)
- + his conversation (8:16)
- Bristol Female reading (:59)
- + her conversation (2:48)
- Devonshire Male reading (:56)
- + his conversation (6:42)
- Bristol Female reading (1:13)
- + her conversation (3:59)
- Cornwall Female reading (:57)
- + her conversation (2:50)
- Somerset Female reading (1:17)
- + her conversation (1:58)
- Plymouth Devon Male reading (1:15)
- + his conversation (3:48)
- Truro Cornwall Male reading (1:15)
- + his conversation (3:48)
- Bristol Male reading (1:36)
- Oakhampton Devonshire Female reading (1:10)
- + her conversation (2:16)
- Bristol Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (1:19)
- Taunton Somerset Female reading (1:21)
- + her conversation (5:53)
- Cornwall & Somerset Male reading (:39)
- + his conversation (4:38)
- Bournemouth Male reading (1:27)
- + his conversation (3:16)
- Wiltshire Female reading (1:51)
- + her conversation (3:01)
- Wiltshire-Bristol Male reading (1:04)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.