Yorkshire Accent Learning Materials
- The Yorkshire accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with coach Carolyn Johnson providing a female voice for the practice sentences. Jim will also lead you through a monologue in this accent.
- There are also recordings of native speakers reading and in conversation, and you'll be able to follow along with a PDF transcript of these conversations.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF to print, a MOBI for Kindle, and an EPUB for other portable readers.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Secret Garden, Wuthering Heights, and Calendar Girls, and you'll hear it on programs like Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (142.8MB, 192 minutes)
Yorkshire Volume 1: Learning a Yorkshire Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (9:54)
- Consonant sound changes (21:31)
- Vowel sound changes (10:31)
- changes to Diphthongs (5:32)
- Alternate Pronunciations (2:50)
- Practice Sentences (2:40)
- Practice Monologue (18:01)
- Placement & Intonation Practice (8:46)
- Demonstration of the Practice Monologue (1:38)
Yorkshire Volume 2: Native Speakers
- Female from Huddersfield reading (1:22)
- + her conversation (1:51)
- Female from Bradford reading (1:15)
- + her conversation (:47)
- Male from Middlesborough reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (2:33)
- Male from Rotherham reading (1:23)
- + his conversation (19:04)
- Male from Aston in conversation (9:49)
- Couple from Leeds reading (2:38)
- + their conversation (4:36)
- + their conversation continued (8:52)
- Male from Leeds reading (1:01)
- + his conversation (1:25)
- Male from Bradford reading (1:33)
- + his conversation (8:11)
- Male from Halifax reading (:46)
- + his conversation (4:11)
- Male from West Yorkshire reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (5:16)
- Male from West Yorkshire reading (1:07)
- + his conversation (4:21)
- Male from Rotherham reading (1:04)
- + his conversation (5:47)
- Female from Sheffield reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (3:14)
- Male from Barnsley reading (3:15)
- + his conversation (8:16)
- Male from Skipton with RP influence reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (2:38)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.