- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
Philadelphia Accent Learning Materials
- The Philly accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, with additional guidance from coach Carolyn Johnson. Jim also leads you through learning a monologue in the accent.
- You'll have a number of recordings of native speakers, along with a PDF transcript of their conversations so that you can follow along as you listen.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, along with three other formats of the book: a small PDF for printing, a MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Gemini and other plays. You also hear it from people like Mad Money's Jim Cramer.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (171.2 MB, 181 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (6:22)
- Consonant sound changes for learning Philly accents (15:00)
- Vowel changes in Philadelphia accents (18:20)
- Changes in Diphthongs for Philadelphia dialects (6:13)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in both accents (2:57)
- Wrap up to learning Philly accents (3:36)
- Practice with Sound Changes using a monologue (26:07)
- Practice with Intonation & Placement (10:54)
- Demonstration of the Practice Monologue (1:18)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers of Australia
- Auto Parts Philly Male reading (1:19)
- + his conversation (11:00) profanity
- Philly "Mummers" Female reading (:56)
- + her conversation (11:35)
- "Mummers Museum" Female reading (1:02)
- + her conversation (6:25)
- "Two Street" South Philly Females in conversation (1:51)
- "Brotherly Love" Female conversation (2:01)
- "Good Old Days" Philadelphia Female conversation (9:42)
- "Bad Changes" Philly Female reading (3:23)
- "Gin Rummy" Male conversation (4:00)
- Two Card Playing Males conversation (7:35) profanity
- Family Work & End of World Female conversation (4:48) profanity
- South Philly Black Female conversation (7:18)
- "Glee Club" Female conversation (1:39)
- "Cats, Dogs & Art" Female conversation (6:45)
- Italian South Philly Male reading (1:51)
- + his conversation (6:51)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.