Pittsburgh Accent Learning Materials
- The Pittsburgh accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent.
- You'll also have a number of recordings of native speakers, most of which Jim gathered on multiple trips to Pittsburgh. You'll be able to follow along with a PDF transcript of their conversation while you listen.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, as well as three other formats of the book: a PDF file to print, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of The Chief and other plays. You also hear it from people like comedian Dennis Miller and long-time Steelers announcer Myron Cope.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (144MB, 185 minutes)
Pittsburgh Vol 1: Learning the Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (5:37)
- Consonant sound changes (17:42)
- Vowel sound changes (10:21)
- changes to Diphthongs (8:16)
- Alternate Pronunciations (4:20)
- Practice Sentences (2:55)
- Text Practice on Sounds (15:12)
- Text Practice on Sounds continued (13:31)
- Placement & Intonation Practice (8:27)
- Monologue Example (1:23)
Pittsburgh Vol 2: Native Speakers
- Male from Uptown reading (1:04)
- + his conversation (8:10)
- Female from Shady Side reading (1:15)
- + her conversation (7:07)
- Female from Mt Washington in conversation (7:04)
- Male from South Side/Brookline reading (:49)
- + his conversation (6:40)
- Female from Mt Washington reading (1:01)
- + her conversation (3:15)
- Male from Mt Washington reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (6:57)
- Female from Overbrook reading (1:08)
- + her conversation (6:35)
- Male from South Park reading (:49)
- + his conversation (5:54)
- Female from South Hills PA reading (1:00)
- + her conversation (3:14)
- Female from Pittsburgh reading (1:02)
- + her conversation (4:07)
- Male from Carrick reading (:56)
- + his conversation (11:27)
- Female from Shaler Township reading (1:23)
- + her conversation (7:41)
- Male from Etna reading (1:50)
- + his conversation (5:24)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.