Your guide to speaking Bawlmerese, whether you need the accent of Bawlmer County or of the city of Bawdimer itself, we've got you covered! You can use the accent to be a true Ravens' fan, or if you just want to sound right when you go down the ocean, hon.
- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
Baltimore Accent Learning Materials
- The Baltimore accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, including leading you through a monologue in the accent. You'll also hear coach Carolyn Johnson as a female example for the practice sentences.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF file to print, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Hairspray and other plays. You also hear it in the films of John Waters and on the HBO series The Wire.
- You'll get a PDF transcript of all of the native speakers' conversations so that you can follow along.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (160.3 MB, 170 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Baltimore Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (6:35)
- Consonant sound changes for learning the Baltimore dialect (12:09)
- Vowel changes in Bawlmer accents (10:54)
- Changes in Diphthongs for Bawdimore accents (8:44)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in Bawlmerese (5:48)
- Wrap up to learning Baltimore accents (3:07)
- Practice with Sound Changes using a monologue (22:53)
- Practice with Intonation & Placement (4:47)
- Demonstration of the Practice Monologue (:53)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers from Baltimore
- Pimlico Female reading (1:08)
- + her conversation part 1 (8:00)
- + her conversation part 2 (9:20)
- Sailor Male conversation (6:46)
- Fireman Male reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (9:31)
- Dundalk Female reading (1:03)
- + her conversation (3:54)
- Dundalk Male conversation (5:42)
- Cross Street Market Male reading (:54)
- + his conversation (4:50)
- Cafe Hon Female reading (1:08)
- + her conversation (3:40)
- Drinker Male conversation (profanity) (3:20)
- Hampden Male conversation (9:33)
- Griffith Tavern group (12:29)
- Jewish Male conversation (background noise) (2:39)
- Writer Male conversation (profanity) (8:50)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.