Baltimore Accent Learning Materials
- The Baltimore accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, including leading you through a monologue in the accent. You'll also hear coach Carolyn Johnson as a female example for the practice sentences.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF file to print, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Hairspray and other plays. You also hear it in the films of John Waters and on the HBO series The Wire.
- You'll get a PDF transcript of all of the native speakers' conversations so that you can follow along.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (160.3 MB, 170 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Baltimore Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (6:35)
- Consonant sound changes for learning the Baltimore dialect (12:09)
- Vowel changes in Bawlmer accents (10:54)
- Changes in Diphthongs for Bawdimore accents (8:44)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in Bawlmerese (5:48)
- Wrap up to learning Baltimore accents (3:07)
- Practice with Sound Changes using a monologue (22:53)
- Practice with Intonation & Placement (4:47)
- Demonstration of the Practice Monologue (:53)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers from Baltimore
- Pimlico Female reading (1:08)
- + her conversation part 1 (8:00)
- + her conversation part 2 (9:20)
- Sailor Male conversation (6:46)
- Fireman Male reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (9:31)
- Dundalk Female reading (1:03)
- + her conversation (3:54)
- Dundalk Male conversation (5:42)
- Cross Street Market Male reading (:54)
- + his conversation (4:50)
- Cafe Hon Female reading (1:08)
- + her conversation (3:40)
- Drinker Male conversation (profanity) (3:20)
- Hampden Male conversation (9:33)
- Griffith Tavern group (12:29)
- Jewish Male conversation (background noise) (2:39)
- Writer Male conversation (profanity) (8:50)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.