- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
Boston Accent Learning Materials
- The Boston accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent and leading you through a monologue in the Boston accent. This set also includes female examples of the practice sentences from coach Carolyn Johnson.
- You'll get a PDF of the text teaching you the accent, plus three more formats of the same book: a PDF for printing, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- There are many recordings of native speakers included, which Jim picked up during trips to Boston. You'll have a transcription of the conversations in a PDF format so that you can follow along with the speakers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Spike Heels and other plays. You also hear it in films like The Town and The Friends of Eddie Coyle and from people like "Boston" Rob on Survivor.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (145.7 MB, 180 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (3:36)
- Consonant sound changes (10:05)
- Vowel sound changes (13:00)
- changes in Diphthongs (1:56)
- Alternate Pronunciations (2:04)
- Practice Sentences (2:05)
- BONUS Text Practice (21:15)
- BONUS Intonation Practice (7:34)
- BONUS Text Examples (1:26)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers
- Southie Male reading (1:45)
- + his conversation (9:27)
- North Boston Male reading (1:33)
- + his conversation (4:17)
- Dorchester Male reading (:51)
- + his conversation (profanity) (5:30)
- Charlestown Male reading (1:08)
- + his conversation (3:06)
- Methuen MA Female reading (:57)
- + her conversation (4:36)
- Chelmsford MA Male reading (:54)
- + his conversation (7:32)
- Waltham MA Female reading (1:09)
- + her conversation (2:58)
- North Cambridge Male reading (1:11)
- + his conversation (6:35)
- Cambridge Female reading (:57)
- + her conversation (5:37)
- Yarmouth MA Male reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (8:10)
- Dorchester Male reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (4:46)
- Somerville Male reading (1:00)
- + his conversation (5:43)
- + additional conversation (expletives) (7:51)
- Boston Female reading (:59)
- + her conversation (6:51)
- Haverhill MA Male reading (:46)
- + his conversation (2:22)
- West Roxbury Male reading (:48)
- + his conversation (7:13)
- Boston Male reading (1:19)
- + his conversation (offensive) (4:28)
- Cabbie Male conversation (2:13)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.