New England Accent
- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
New England "Downeast" Accent Learning Materials
- The New England accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with additional examples from coach Carolyn Johnson. Jim also guides you through applying the accent to a practice monologue.
- Jim gathered these native speaker recordings during trips through New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. You'll also get a PDF transcript of the native speakers' conversations so that you can follow along as you listen.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three alternate formats of this book: a PDF file to print, a MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Our Town and other plays. It's challenging to find accurate Downeast accents on film, so the recordings of native speakers with this download are essential!
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (160.3 MB, 194 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the New England Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints for speaking with a New England accent (6:09)
- Consonant sound changes for Downeast accents (9:15)
- Vowel sound changes for learning a New England accent (7:47)
- changes to Diphthongs in a New England accent (5:00)
- Alternate Pronunciations of words and phrases when speaking with a New England accent (5:09)
- Practice Sentences (2:56)
- Practice Monologue (18:54)
- Placement & Intonation Practice (17:44)
- Text Example (1:32)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers from New England
- Portland Maine Male—Lobster Sales (1:29)
- Portland Maine Male—Limo driver (3:27)
- Maine Female reading (1:16)
- + her conversation (3:06)
- Penobscot Bay Maine Male conversation (5:32)
- 2 Males from Matinicus Maine conversation (4:10)
- Bridgeton Maine Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (3:37)
- Center Harbor New Hampshire Male reading (1:17)
- + his conversation (6:56)
- Center Harbor New Hampshire Female reading (1:45)
- + her conversation (6:38)
- Matinicus Maine Female reading (1:30)
- Two Matinicus Maine Females conversation (6:56)
- Matinicus Maine Two Males + Female conversation (9:41)
- Matinicus Maine Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (7:30)
- Portland Maine Two Retired Males conversation (7:43)
- Portland Maine Male conversation continued (2:29)
- Northfield Vermont Female reading (:59)
- + her conversation (4:58)
- Exeter Hew Hampshire Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (4:48)
- Lebanon New Hampshire Male reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (6:42)
- Montpelier Vermont Female reading (1:03)
- + her conversation (4:50)
- Bennington Vermont Male reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (3:32)
- Waitsfield Vermont Male reading (:47)
- + his conversation (10:54)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.