Canadian Accent Learning Materials
- The Canadian accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with Carolyn Johnson providing a female voice for the practice sentences. Jim also leads you through the accent in a practice monologue.
- You'll get additional volumes of native speaker recordings, including a PDF transcript of their conversations that you can follow along with.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF for printing, a MOBI for Kindle, and an EPUB for other portable readers.
- This set of materials focuses on the Canadian accent west of Quebec. You can find French-Canadian recordings in the French materials, and we'll also offer Eastern Canadian accents in future materials, as they can be quite different from those of Central and Western Canada.
- This AccentHelp download focuses on Canadian English speakers and will walk you through a stronger version of the accent, though you'll also find out what lighter Canadian accents sound like.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Three Volumes (200.9mb, 202 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Canadian Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (6:07)
- Consonant sound changes for learning a Canadian accent (8:27)
- Vowel sound changes for Canadian (9:31)
- changes to Diphthongs in an English-speaking Canadian accent (6:44)
- Alternate Pronunciations (4:26)
- Wrap up to Canadian accents for actors (2:00)
- Text Practice (17:59)
- Text Intonation (8:55)
- Text Example (:58)
Volume 2: Recordings of Canadian Native Speakers
- Landmark Manitoba Female in conversation (6:07)
- Winnepeg Manitoba Male conversation (4:45)
- Red Deer Alberta Male reading (1:00)
- + his conversation (5:02)
- Toronto Alberta Male reading (1:08)
- + his conversation (3:36)
- Canadian Female conversation (3:43)
- Vancouver Island British Columbia Couple conversation (7:50)
- West Vancouver British Columbia Male reading (1:18)
- + his conversation (6:47)
- White Rock British Columbia Male reading (:51)
- + his conversation (4:44)
- Niagara Falls Ontario Female reading (1:01)
- + her conversation (3:48)
- Calgary Alberta Male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (5:26)
- Calgary Alberta Female reading (:55)
- + her conversation (3:30)
- 2nd Calgary Alberta Female reading (:50)
- + her conversation (4:15)
- Port Alberni British Columbia Female reading (1:08)
- + her conversation (3:22)
- Vancouver British Columbia Male conversation (2:24)
- Scarborough Ontario Female conversation (3:44)
- Winnepeg Manitoba Female reading (:52)
- + her conversation (4:04)
- Medicine Hat Alberta Male reading (1:18)
- + his conversation (3:13)
Volume 3: More Recordings of Canadian Native Speakers
- White Horse Yukon Territory Male reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (2:26)
- Goderich Ontario Male reading (1:14)
- + his conversation (3:56)
- Waterford Ontario Female reading (1:27)
- + her conversation (3:22)
- Mississauga Ontario Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (2:54)
- Winnipeg Manitoba Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (3:46)
- Borden Sask Saskatchewan Female reading (1:04)
- + her conversation (5:04)
- Calgary Alberta Male reading (1:20)
- + his conversation (3:22)
- Wetaskiwin Alberta Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (2:32)
- Vancouver British Columbia Male reading (1:07)
- + his conversation (3:29)
- Vancouver British Columbia Male conversation (1:13)
- + his conversation (2:45)
- London Ontario Female conversation (2:44)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.