Newcastle Geordie Accents
Newcastle Geordie Accent Learning Materials
- The Newcastle Geordie accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with a female voice for the example words and the practice sentences. Jim will also lead you through a monologue in this accent, which you will hear in his voice and the female native speaker voice.
- There are also recordings of other native speakers reading and in conversation, and you'll be able to follow along with a PDF transcript of these conversations.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF to print, a MOBI for Kindle, and an EPUB for other portable readers.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Billy Elliot, and is what you'll hear from Ant & Dec on Britain's Got Talent. It's the accent of Newcastle upon Tyne - which is commonly called Geordie - and there are also some native speaker examples from some of the country around Newcastle.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (281.7mb, 175 minutes)
Newcastle Geordie Vol 1: Learning the Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (10:19)
- Consonant sound changes (15:23)
- Vowel sound changes (13:21)
- changes to Diphthongs (8:09)
- Pronunciations (3:34)
- Practice Sentences (1:46)
- Practice Monologue Sounds part1 (10:42)
- Practice Monologue Sounds part2 (8:34)
- Placement & Intonation Practice (7:48)
- Practice Monologue Examples (2:01)
- Lexical Set Words (3:47)
Newcastle Geordie Vol 2: Recordings of Native Speakers
- Newcastle upon Tyne Male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (8:24)
- Hartleypool Newcastle Female reading (:51)
- + her conversation (6:12)
- Sunderland Tyne and Wear Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (3:48)
- Northumberland Male reading (1:37)
- + his conversation (8:15)
- Newcastle Male reading (1:14)
- + his conversation (5:00)
- Newcastle Male reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (2:14)
- Durham Male reading (1:28)
- + his conversation (3:26)
- Middlesbrough Male conversation (3:55)
- Newcastle Female reading (:53)
- + her conversation (1:52)
- Gateshead Male reading (:53)
- + his conversation (1:18)
- Newcastle Male reading (:57)
- + his conversation (1:10)
- Newcastle Male conversation (:53)
- Newcastle Male conversation (1:46)
- Newcastle Male conversation (:54)
- Benwell Grange Male reading (1:20)
- + his conversation (:52)
- Durham Male reading (:56)
- + his conversation (1:40)
- Cramlington Female reading (1:27)
- + her conversation (9:24)
- Newcastle Female reading (1:36)
- + her conversation (10:05)
- Newcastle Male reading (1:10)
Many of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background, or many are done online, which means there may be momentary connectivity issues in some. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.