Manchester UK - or Manc - speakers seem to split the divide between northern and southern accents of England, with some elements of both. These materials focus on the Mancunian accent, but also include recordings of similar accents from Lancashire, a bit further north in England.
Manchester Accent Learning Materials
- The Manchester England accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with a female voice for the practice sentences. Jim will also lead you through a monologue in this accent.
- There are also recordings of native speakers reading and in conversation, and you'll be able to follow along with a PDF transcript of these conversations.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF to print, a MOBI for Kindle, and an EPUB for other portable readers.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- This accent is famous from programs like Shameless and from people like the band members of Oasis.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Three Volumes (164.3MB, 209 minutes)
Manchester Vol 1: Learning the Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (11:12)
- Consonant sound changes (16:46)
- Vowel sound changes (10:21)
- changes to Diphthongs (5:58)
- Pronunciations (2:00)
- Practice Sentences (2:30)
- Text Practice (15:48)
- Text Intonation (8:15)
- Text Examples (2:11)
Manchester Vol 2: Native Speakers
- Female from Manchester conversation (3:37)
- Male from Manchester reading (:54)
- + his conversation (4:41)
- Female from Manchester reading (1:20)
- + her conversation (3:37)
- Male from Stretford reading (1:15)
- + his conversation (4:53)
- Male from Wigan reading (:58)
- + his conversation (6:18)
- Female from Bolton reading (1:30)
- + her conversation (7:31)
- Male from Bolton reading (1:01)
- + his conversation (4:57)
- Female from Burnley reading (:58)
- + her conversation (4:28)
- Male from Sale reading (1:17)
- + his conversation (5:02)
- Female from Middleton reading (1:01)
- + her conversation (4:14)
- Male from Stockport reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (5:41)
- Male from Manchester conversation (4:56)
- Two Males from Manchester conversation (4:33)
- Male from Bollington reading (:52)
- + his conversation (3:58)
- Male from Warrington reading (1:23)
- + his conversation (3:17)
- Male from Manchester reading (1:17)
- + his conversation (8:40)
Manchester Vol 3: More Native Speakers
- Male from Blackpool reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (8:14)
- Male from Blackpool reading (1:40)
- + his conversation (4:15)
- Female from Lancaster reading (:51)
- + her conversation (5:50)
- Female from Penrith Cumbria reading (1:04)
- + her conversation (5:50)
- Female from Blackburn Lancashire reading (1:00)
- + her conversation (2:47)
- Male from Cheshire reading (1:38)
- + his conversation (2:03)
- Male from Carlisle reading (:56)
- + his conversation (1:05)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.