Manchester Accent Learning Materials
- The Manchester England accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with a female voice for the practice sentences. Jim will also lead you through a monologue in this accent.
- There are also recordings of native speakers reading and in conversation, and you'll be able to follow along with a PDF transcript of these conversations.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF to print, a MOBI for Kindle, and an EPUB for other portable readers.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- This accent is famous from programs like Shameless and from people like the band members of Oasis.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Three Volumes (164.3MB, 209 minutes)
Manchester Vol 1: Learning the Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (11:12)
- Consonant sound changes (16:46)
- Vowel sound changes (10:21)
- changes to Diphthongs (5:58)
- Pronunciations (2:00)
- Practice Sentences (2:30)
- Text Practice (15:48)
- Text Intonation (8:15)
- Text Examples (2:11)
Manchester Vol 2: Native Speakers
- Female from Manchester conversation (3:37)
- Male from Manchester reading (:54)
- + his conversation (4:41)
- Female from Manchester reading (1:20)
- + her conversation (3:37)
- Male from Stretford reading (1:15)
- + his conversation (4:53)
- Male from Wigan reading (:58)
- + his conversation (6:18)
- Female from Bolton reading (1:30)
- + her conversation (7:31)
- Male from Bolton reading (1:01)
- + his conversation (4:57)
- Female from Burnley reading (:58)
- + her conversation (4:28)
- Male from Sale reading (1:17)
- + his conversation (5:02)
- Female from Middleton reading (1:01)
- + her conversation (4:14)
- Male from Stockport reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (5:41)
- Male from Manchester conversation (4:56)
- Two Males from Manchester conversation (4:33)
- Male from Bollington reading (:52)
- + his conversation (3:58)
- Male from Warrington reading (1:23)
- + his conversation (3:17)
- Male from Manchester reading (1:17)
- + his conversation (8:40)
Manchester Vol 3: More Native Speakers
- Male from Blackpool reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (8:14)
- Male from Blackpool reading (1:40)
- + his conversation (4:15)
- Female from Lancaster reading (:51)
- + her conversation (5:50)
- Female from Penrith Cumbria reading (1:04)
- + her conversation (5:50)
- Female from Blackburn Lancashire reading (1:00)
- + her conversation (2:47)
- Male from Cheshire reading (1:38)
- + his conversation (2:03)
- Male from Carlisle reading (:56)
- + his conversation (1:05)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.