New Orleans Yat Accent
- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
New Orleans "Yat" Accent Learning Materials
- The New Orleans accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, plus the female voice of coach Carolyn Johnson for the practice sentences. Jim also leads you through practicing the Yat accent with a monologue.
- Jim gathered numerous native speaker recordings during trips to New Orleans - bringing the experience back to you in this download. You'll get a PDF transcript of their conversations so that you can follow along as you listen.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF file to print, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of A Streetcar Named Desire and other plays. You also hear it in documentaries like When the Levees Broke and Yeah You Rite.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (153 MB, 180 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Yat Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints for learning a Yat accent (4:18)
- Consonant sound changes for speaking with a New Orleans accent (14:02)
- Vowel sound changes for Yat accents (10:06)
- changes to Diphthongs in a New Orleans accent (5:28)
- Alternate Pronunciations for terms in a New Orleans Yat accent (4:11)
- Wrap up for speaking with a New Orleans accent (4:32)
- Text Practice (27:51)
- Intonation Practice (7:34)
- Text Example (1:26)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers from NOLA
- Chalmette White Female reading (1:02)
- + her conversation (9:44)
- White/Hispanic Male reading (1:31)
- + his conversation (2:21)
- “Terlet” White Female reading (1:26)
- + her conversation (1:27)
- “Race Car” White Male reading (1:31)
- + his conversation (profanity) (6:04)
- “Oyster” White Male conversation (1:59)
- “Yat” White Male conversation (:40)
- African-American Female reading (1:08)
- + her conversation (3:31)
- “Tours” African-American Female reading (1:10)
- + her conversation (2:45)
- Westwego White Female reading (1:15)
- + her conversation (8:24)
- Chalmette White Female reading (5:30)
- + her conversation (5:30)
- NOLA East White Female reading (1:26)
- + her conversation (7:41)
- Arabi White Female reading (1:24)
- + her conversation (7:11)
- Lake View White Male reading (1:03)
- Lake View White Female reading (1:05)
- Lake View second White Female reading (1:01)
- Lake View family conversation (7:02)
- + conversation continues (6:25)
- + conversation continues (3:51)
- Lake View second White Male reading (1:10)
- + conversation continues (8:06)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.