American Southern: Soft-R Accent
American Southern: Soft-R Accent Learning Materials
- The Soft-R Southern materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Kate DeVore & Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, including leading you through a monologue using the accent.
- You also get hours of recordings of native speakers, along with transcripts of their conversations in PDF format.
- You'll get a PDF that guides you through learning the accent, as well as three other formats of the same text: a PDF for printing, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Driving Miss Daisy, Crimes of the Heart and lots of other plays. You also hear it in films like In the Heat of the Night and from people like Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (156.8MB, 203 minutes)
American Southern Soft-R Vol 1: Learning the Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (11:39)
- Consonant sound changes (11:59)
- Vowel sound changes (8:46)
- changes to Diphthongs (5:54)
- Pronunciations (3:24)
- Practice Sentences (4:01)
- Text Practice on Sounds (14:24)
- Intonation Practice (10:15)
- Monologue Example (1:20)
American Southern Soft-R Vol 2: Native Speakers
- Female from Georgia reading (1:24)
- + her conversation (3:00)
- Female from Georgia reading (1:13)
- + her conversation (2:57)
- Male from Savannah GA reading (1:02)
- + his conversation (2:44)
- Male from Mississippi reading (1:30)
- + his conversation (4:12)
- Female from Kiln MS reading (1:14)
- + her conversation (2:25)
- Female from Biloxi MS reading (1:15)
- + her conversation (4:48)
- Female from Bay St Louis reading (1:09)
- + her conversation (3:01)
- Female from North Carolina reading (1:11)
- + her conversation (1:53)
- Female from Lexington SC reading (1:48)
- + her conversation (4:14)
- Male from Lexington SC conversation (5:17)
- Female from Columbia SC reading (1:11)
- + her conversation (6:14)
- Millard Fuller from Alabama in conversation (4:45)
- Male from Charleston SC reading (2:01)
- + his conversation (4:58)
- Female from Charleston SC reading (2:13)
- + her conversation (9:34)
- Male from Charleston SC & Jacksonville FL reading (1:13)
- + his conversation (5:20)
- Female from Cullman AL reading (1:20)
- + her conversation (8:31)
- Female from Somerville TN reading (1:18)
- + her conversation (5:01)
- Male from Somerville TN reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (10:01)
- Male from Saluda SC reading (1:04)
- + his conversation (3:39)
- Male from Batesburg-Leesville SC reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (5:05)
- Female from Lodge SC reading (1:28)
- + her conversation (7:50)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.