Cajun Accent Learning Materials
- The Cajun accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with Carolyn Johnson providing a female voice on the practice sentences. You'll also hear recordings of Jim leading you through a monologue using the accent.
- There are also recordings of 19 native Cajuns. Jim gathered these recordings during trips to Louisiana's Cajun country - bringing the experience back to you in this download. You can follow along with transcripts of their conversations in a PDF.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, along with three additional versions of the book: a PDF to print, a MOBI version for Kindle, and an EPUB version for other portable readers.
- This is the accent you'll experience in James Lee Burke novels, and you can hear it from people like Justin Wilson, the Cajun chef. French Cajun still has a heavy influence on the accent, even for younger speakers who know very little French.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (159MB, 203 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Cajun Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (13:35)
- Consonant sound changes for learning a Cajun accent (21:48)
- Vowel sound changes in a Cajun accent (8:47)
- changes to Diphthongs for a Cajun accent (5:27)
- Alternate Pronunciations of Cajun words (1:42)
- Review of the Practice Sentences (2:58)
- Practice Text (28:12)
- Intonation & Placement Practice (11:25)
- Text Example (1:39)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Cajuns
- Lafayette Louisiana Male conversation (6:22)
- Henderson / Breaux Bridge Louisiana Female reading (1:00)
- + her conversation (1:56)
- Carencro / Breaux Bridge Louisiana Male reading (1:45)
- + his conversation (3:10)
- + discussion of Cajun accents with Breaux Bridge Female (1:35)
- Eunice Louisiana Female reading (1:00)
- + her conversation (1:12)
- Lafayette Louisiana Female conversation (3:47)
- Lafayette Male conversation (heavier Cajun French) (3:37)
- Abbeville Louisiana Female conversation (very heavy Cajun French) (6:11)
- Lafayette Louisiana Female conversation (5:11)
- Orange Texas Male reading (1:22)
- + his conversation (8:37)
- Abbeville Louisiana Female reading (:55)
- + her conversation (1:57)
- Cecilia Louisiana Female reading (1:10)
- + her conversation (5:57)
- Patterson Louisiana Female reading (1:17)
- + her conversation (9:23)
- Mamou Louisiana Mother reading (1:25)
- Jeanerette Louisiana Son reading (1:11)
- + their conversation (9:54)
- Houma Louisiana Male reading (1:38)
- + his conversation (6:52)
- Houma Louisiana Female reading (:54)
- + her conversation (5:01)
- St James Parish Louisiana Female reading (1:24)
- + her conversation (6:23)
- Donaldsonville Louisiana Female reading (1:15)
- + her conversation (4:11)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.