Listen to a sample now!
Every actor needs an Italian accent in their back pocket - whether you need-a to speak-a with a strong "Roberto Benigni" accent or a lighter "Sophia Loren" version! Italian accents can vary a bit, especially to the far north and the far south of Italy - this download focuses on the central Italian accent that most Italians speak: qui è!
Italian Accent Learning Materials
- The Italian accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Kate DeVore & Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a recordings of 17 native speakers, gathered over the course of many years - bringing the experience back to you in this download, newly updated in 2016! (You'll get future updates for free as well.) This edition also includes bonus tracks of Jim leading you through a monologue in the accent.
- You'll get four versions of the written teaching materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers. Transcriptions of the recordings of native speakers are included in PDF as well.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Lend Me a Tenor and other plays. You also hear it in films like Under the Tuscan Sun and Big Night.
- Italian accents can vary a great deal, especially depending on how fluently the speaker is with English, but there are still a number of shared elements in the accent. This download will walk you through the strong Italian stereotypes and help you to tone them down to a realistic accent as needed.
Audio files in Three Volumes (138.9MB, 147 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints for learning an Italian accent (5:02)
- Consonant sound changes (14:37)
- Vowel sound changes (6:39)
- changes in Diphthongs (1:16)
- Pronunciations of words and terms (:57)
- Wrap up for learning Italian accents (:57)
- BONUS Text Practice (19:20)
- BONUS Text Intonation (7:30)
- BONUS Text Example (1:39)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers
- Rome Italy Male reading (1:34)
- + his conversation (4:08)
- Naples Italy Female reading (1:43)
- + her conversation (3:57)
- Milan Italy Male reading (1:01)
- + his conversation (4:43)
- Rome Italy Female reading (1:19)
- + her conversation (6:47)
- Palermo Italy Male reading (1:37)
- + his conversation (1:00)
- Florence Italy Female reading (1:00)
- + her conversation (3:20)
- Palermo Italy Female reading (1:17)
- + her conversation (2:41)
- Chianciano Terme Female reading (1:18)
- + her conversation (5:12)
- Venice Male conversation (3:40)
- Empoli Male reading (1:11)
- + his conversation (6:34)
- Palermo Male reading (1:34)
- + his conversation (2:39)
- Rome Female reading (1:49)
- + her conversation (4:07)
- Massafra Male reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (2:50)
- Mozzanica Male reading (1:20)
- + his conversation (2:28)
- Bari Female reading (1:37)
- + her conversation (2:21)
Volume 3: More Recordings of Native Italian Speakers
- Torino Female reading (1:26)
- + her conversation (6:46)
- Bergamo Male reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (3:49)
More native speakers will be added in the future - and you'll get the updates for free!
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.