Listen to a sample now!
The German accent is a standard one for actors to have readily available. Whether you're trying for a stereotypical German accent or something much more subtle, this download will lead you through the accent and clarify specific issue for you, such as the difference between High and Low German accents, ja!
German Accent Learning Materials
- The German accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Kate DeVore & Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Coach Jim Johnson gathered these recordings over the course of many years - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers. We've also included BONUS tracks of Jim teaching you the accent using a monologue, and there is a second volume of recordings of native speakers included. Future updates and additions will, as always, be FREE!
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Cabaret and other plays. You also hear it in films like the Indiana Jones series and the films by director Werner Herzog.
- The German accent is commonly divided into two subsets: High German, which is spoken in the mountainous south of Germany, and Low German, which is spoken in the northern lowlands. Both of these major divisions are discussed in these materials for learning the German accent.
Audio files - Volume 1 (121.9MB, 124 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints for learning a German accent (3:48)
- Consonant sound changes in a German accent (20:15)
- Vowel sound changes for German accents (4:20)
- changes in Diphthongs for speaking with a German accent (2:31)
- Alternate Pronunciations of English words and German terms (1:28)
- Wrap up for learning a German accent (1:44)
- Hamburg Germany Male reading (1:00)
- + his conversation (1:15)
- Berlin Germany Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (5:42)
- First of Two German Females reading (1:04)
- Second of Two German Females reading (1:09)
- + their conversation (1:52)
- Aachen Germany Female reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (2:21)
- German Female reading (1:00)
- + her conversation (4:41)
- + speaking in German (:23)
- Berlin Germany Female reading (1:06)
- + her conversation (5:03)
- Northern Germany Male reading (1:28)
- + his conversation (3:28)
- Wittenburg Germany Male reading (1:25)
- + his conversation (4:31)
- Wittenburg Germany Female reading (1:57)
- + her conversation (13:07)
- BONUS Text Practice (22:42)
- BONUS Text Intonation (8:26)
- BONUS Text Example (4:46)
Audio files - Volume 2 (36.3MB, 43 minutes)
- Frieburg Germany Male reading (1:20)
- + his conversation (2:58)
- + his conversation in German (:29)
- Hamburg Germany Male reading (1:44)
- + his conversation (2:23)
- Potzdam Germany Male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (3:23
- Bamberg Germany Female reading (1:29)
- + her conversation (3:42)
- Wurtsburg Germany Female reading (1:10)
- + her conversation (6:17)
- Bod Neustadt Germany Male reading (:55)
- + his conversation (2:33)
- Soltau Germany Male reading (1:02)
- + his conversation (3:37)
- Weinheim Germany Female reading (:58)
- + her conversation (7:05)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.