Birmingham Accent Learning Materials
- The Birmingham England accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with a female voice for the practice sentences. Jim will also lead you through a monologue in this accent.
- There are also recordings of native speakers reading and in conversation, and you'll be able to follow along with a PDF transcript of these conversations.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, plus three more formats of the book: a PDF to print, a MOBI for Kindle, and an EPUB for other portable readers.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- This accent is famous from programs like Peaky Blinders and from people like Ozzy Osborne.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits from these materials go to diversity scholarships for actors at the University of Houston.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Three Volumes (191.2MB, 234 minutes)
Birmingham Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (13:24)
- Consonant sound changes (19:35)
- Vowel sound changes (15:16)
- changes to Diphthongs (6:30)
- Pronunciations (2:42)
- Practice Sentences (3:21)
- Practice Monologue (25:29)
- Placement & Intonation Practice 10:43)
- Demonstrations of the Practice Monologue (2:01)
Birmingham Volume 2: Native Speakers
- Male from Birmingham reading (1:29)
- + his conversation (5:38)
- Female from Birmingham reading (1:14)
- + her conversation (1:29)
- Male from Birmingham reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (1:16)
- Female from Birmingham reading (1:32)
- + her conversation (5:40)
- Male from Aston Birmingham reading (:57)
- + his conversation (6:04)
- Male from Birmingham reading (1:38)
- + his conversation (2:28)
- Male from Bromsgrove reading (1:28)
- + his conversation (5:59)
- Female from Bromsgrove reading (1:18)
- + her conversation (9:23)
- Female from Birmingham in conversation (9:28)
- Male from Wolverhampton reading (1:19)
- + his conversation (3:52)
- Male from Stafford reading (1:01)
- + his conversation (6:42)
- + more conversation (9:51)
- Female from Cannock reading (1:21)
- + her conversation with Stafford Male (5:04)
- Male from Sutton Coalfield reading (1:15)
- + his conversation (5:18)
- Male from Telford reading (1:26)
- + his conversation (5:10)
- Female from West Bromwich reading (1:32)
- + her conversation (3:12)
Birmingham Volume 3: More Native Speakers
- Male from South Staffordshire reading (1:54)
- + his conversation (7:01)
- Male from Warwickshire reading (1:17)
- + his conversation (2:08)
- Female from Coventry West Midlands reading (1:43)
- + her conversation (5:48)
- Male from Black Country reading (:45)
- + his conversation (6:45)
- Male rancher from Shropshire reading (:57)
- Male from Shropshire reading (1:12)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.