Listen to a sample now!
New York City Latino Accent
New York City Latino and Latina accents are commonly spoken in Spanish Harlem and in other parts of NYC, especially because areas in the Heights have gentrified, moving many of the Nuyoricans and other Latinos into various neighborhoods of NYC.
New York Latino/Latina Accent Learning Materials
- The Nuyorican accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Michelle Lopez-Rios and Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. They gathered these recordings over the course of many years - bringing their experience to you in this download.
- You''ll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Our Lady of 121st Street, In the Heights, and other plays. You also hear it in films like West Side Story and White Men Can't Jump.
- The NYC Latino accent covers a variety of ethnicities in the city of New York, especially Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexican, Ecuadorian and Colombian - but the accent may also be spoken by blacks, whites and others who live in some of these largely Hispanic neighborhoods. You may also be interested in working on the Mexican accent or the Spanish Castilian accent of Spain.
Audio files (77.4MB, 77 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints in a NYC Latino accent (8:27)
- Consonant sound changes for Nuyorican accents (20:57)
- Vowel sound changes for learning a New York City Latino accent (4:06)
- changes to Diphthongs when speaking with a NYC Latino/Latina accent (4:22)
- Alternate Pronunciations when speaking with a Nuyorican accent (4:21)
- Wrap up for learning Spanish-speaking New York City accents (1:42)
- Nuyorican Female reading (:55)
- + her conversation (1:34)
- New York City Hispanic Male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (1:25)
- Nuyorican Female reading (1:11)
- + her conversation (3:38)
- New York City Dominican Female reading (:59)
- + her conversation (5:38)
- Nuyorican Female reading (1:33)
- + her conversation (5:03)
- New York City Puerto Rican Female reading (1:17)
- + her conversation (5:12)
- NYC Puerto Rican Male conversation (1:46)
- Nuyorican Female Spanish reading (1:18)
- New York City Dominican Female Spanish reading (1:02)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.