Listen to a sample now!
Pittsburgh accents are sometimes called "Yinzer" accents because of the common usage of "yinz" or "yinz guys" to describe a group (much like "y'all" in varieties of American Southern. This'll make you ready to head dahntahn and cheer fer da Stillers!
Pittsburgh Accent Learning Materials
- The Pittsburgh accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered these recordings traveling to Pittsburgh - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of The Chief and other plays. You also hear it from people like comedian Dennis Miller and long-time Steelers announcer Myron Cope.
- The Pittsburgh accent is influenced by other Pennsylvania accents, such as Pennsylvania Dutch, and there are some elements of Southern accents infusing it as well. You may find it has a lot of similarities to other Great Lakes accents, such as the accent of Chicago.
Audio files (94.1MB, 98 minutes)
- Intro to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (5:38)
- Consonant changes for learning a Pittsburgh accent (16:22)
- Vowel sound changes for the Pittsburgh accent (9:09)
- changes in Diphthongs for speaking Pittsburghese (8:12)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in a Pittsburgh accent (4:27)
- Wrap up to learning a Pittsburgh accent (1:56)
- Uptown Pittsburgh Male reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (8:08)
- Shady Side Pittsburgh Female reading (1:15)
- + her conversation (7:06)
- Mt. Washington Pittsburgh Female conversation (7:04)
- South Side - Brookline Pittsburgh Male reading (:48)
- + his conversation (6:38)
- Mt. Washington Pittsburgh Female reading (1:02)
- + her conversation (3:15)
- Mt. Washington Pittsburgh Male reading (1:15)
- + his conversation (6:56)
- Overbrook Pittsburgh Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (6:34)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.