Listen to a sample now!
Philadelphia accents are their own beasts - they ain't the same as NYC! Drop your R's, and you'll know what it's like to play against the Phillies. Of course, they boo their own players just as much...
Philadelphia Accent Learning Materials
- The Philly accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered these recordings traveling to Philadelphia - bringing the experience back to you in this download. Jim will also lead you through learning a monologue in the accent.
- The teaching materials come with a PDF, along with three other versions of these materials: a small PDF for printing, a MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers. The volume of native speaker recordings also comes with a PDF transcript of all of the conversations so that you can follow along with the speakers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Gemini and other plays. You also hear it from people like Mad Money's Jim Cramer.
- The Philadelphia accent is influenced by other Pennsylvania accents, such as Pennsylvania Dutch, and there are some elements that it closely shares with Baltimore, too. It's got some similarities with the accents of New York City, but it's definitely not the same. Just ask 'em.
Audio files in Two Volumes (171.2 MB, 181 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (6:22)
- Consonant sound changes for learning Philly accents (15:00)
- Vowel changes in Philadelphia accents (18:20)
- Changes in Diphthongs for Philadelphia dialects (6:13)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in both accents (2:57)
- Wrap up to learning Philly accents (3:36)
- Practice with Sound Changes using a monologue (26:07)
- Practice with Intonation & Placement (10:54)
- Demonstration of the Practice Monologue (1:18)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers of Australia
- Auto Parts Philly Male reading (1:19)
- + his conversation (11:00) profanity
- Philly "Mummers" Female reading (:56)
- + her conversation (11:35)
- "Mummers Museum" Female reading (1:02)
- + her conversation (6:25)
- "Two Street" South Philly Females in conversation (1:51)
- "Brotherly Love" Female conversation (2:01)
- "Good Old Days" Philadelphia Female conversation (9:42)
- "Bad Changes" Philly Female reading (3:23)
- "Gin Rummy" Male conversation (4:00)
- Two Card Playing Males conversation (7:35) profanity
- Family Work & End of World Female conversation (4:48) profanity
- South Philly Black Female conversation (7:18)
- "Glee Club" Female conversation (1:39)
- "Cats, Dogs & Art" Female conversation (6:45)
- Italian South Philly Male reading (1:51)
- + his conversation (6:51)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.