California Accent Learning Materials
- The California accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Jim Johnson and Carolyn Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, along with tracks of Jim leading you through a practice monologue in the accent.
- You'll get recordings of native speakers, along with a PDF transcript so that you can follow along with their conversations.
- You'll get a PDF of the teaching materials, along with three more formats of the book: a PDF file to print, MOBI for Kindle, and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of The Graduate and other plays. You also hear it in films like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and Valley Girl.
- These materials focus on the stereotypical "Valley Girl" or "Surfer Dude" accents of Southern California, though there are many elements of this stronger accent that carry over into accents up and down the coast.
- All of the sound files are in MP3 format so that you can play them on your computer, load them onto your phone, or burn them to a CD.
- You'll receive a link via email so that you can download all of the materials as ZIP files directly to your computer.
- You'll also get future updates for free!
5% of all profits on AccentHelp accents go to food banks.
Listen to a Sample!
Audio files in Two Volumes (145.4MB, 179 minutes)
California Vol 1: Learning the Accent
- Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (10:08)
- California Consonant sound changes (9:25)
- California Vowel sound changes (21:38)
- changes to Diphthongs in California accents (7:32)
- Practice Monologue Sounds (22:36)
- Placement & Intonation Practice (13:58)
- Monologue Examples (2:49)
California Vol 2: Native Speakers
- Male from San Fernando Valley reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (7:08)
- Male from Manhattan Beach reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (2:41)
- Male from Malibu reading (1:11)
- + his conversation (6:43)
- Female from Cambria reading (1:24)
- + her conversation (4:59)
- Male from Anaheim reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (3:05)
- Male from Culver City reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (6:27)
- Female from Whittier reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (3:21)
- Female from Bakersfield reading (1:09)
- + her conversation (5:24)
- Female from Clovis reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (4:53)
- Male from Napa & Venice Beach reading (1:11)
- + his conversation (2:29)
- Male from Mountain View Silicon Valley reading (1:18)
- + his conversation (2:11)
- Male from LA & SF reading (1:18)
- + his conversation (2:11)
- Female from Oakland reading (1:04)
- + her conversation (3:35)
- Female from San Diego reading (1:13)
- + her conversation (1:09)
- Male from Burbank reading (1:05)
- + his conversation (2:39)
- Female from Lincoln Heights LA reading (1:14)
- + her conversation (7:33)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.