Listen to a sample now!
Spain: Castilian Accent
Spain is divided into a number of autonomous provinces that relate to language & cultural differences. Spanish (Castellano or Español) is the national language spoken by almost all Spaniards, but there can be some variation in the accents due to the dialect of Spanish the people speak & language variations.
Castilian Spanish Accent Learning Materials
- The Spain accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. You'll also hear the voice of coach Carolyn Johnson on the practice sentences.
- You'll get a PDF of the written teaching materials, along with three other versions: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers. You'll also get a PDF with transcripts of all of the native speakers so that you can read along with the recordings.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of The Fantasticks and other plays. You also hear it from stars like Antonio Banderas and Penélope Cruz.
- The major ethnic/language divisions of Spain include the Galicians, in the northwest with heavy influence from Portuguese; the Basques, in northeast Spain and southwest France; the Catalans, in the far northeast; and the Castilians, largely throughout the middle of the country.
Audio files in Three Volumes (185.8 MB, 188 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (11:49)
- Consonant sound changes for learning accents of Spain (27:55)
- Vowel changes in Spain - Castilian accents (8:28)
- Changes in Diphthongs for Spanish accents (2:23)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in this accent (1:39)
- Wrap up to learning Spain Castilian accents (3:42)
- Practice with Sound Changes using a monologue (22:52)
- Practice with Intonation & Placement (10:34)
- Demonstration of the Practice Monologue (2:10)
Volume 2: Recordings of Native Speakers of Spain
- Valencia Spain Male reading (1:35)
- + his conversation (9:36)
- + reading in Spanish (1:12)
- + speaking in Valencian & Castilian (2:32)
- Bilbao Male reading (1:15)
- + his conversation (1:27)
- Madrid Female reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (6:41)
- + reading in Spanish (1:02)
- + speaking in Spanish (1:14)
- Madrid Female reading (1:41)
- + her conversation (3:57)
- Barcelona Female reading (1:15)
- + her conversation (8:10)
- Santander Cantabria Male reading (1:33)
- + his conversation (7:24)
- Barcelona Female reading (1:08)
- + her conversation (1:58)
- Barcelona Male reading (1:21)
- + his conversation (:29)
- Barcelona Female reading (2:03)
- + her conversation (6:43)
- Huelva Male reading (1:00)
- + his conversation (3:12)
- Jaèn female reading (1:27)
- + her conversation (6:02)
- Madrid Male reading (1:33)
- + his conversation (4:25)
- Manzaneres Female reading (1:19)
- + her conversation (2:22)
Volume 3: More Recordings of Native Speakers
- Cee Spain Male reading (1:28)
- + his conversation (3:27)
- Ourense Male reading (1:07)
- + his conversation (1:12)
- Madrid Male converation (2:10)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the English-language conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.