Listen to a sample now!
The stereotypical Southern California accent is the "Valley Girl" or "Surfer Dude" sound, but elements of this accent are also in many California accents.
From Southern California, all up along the coast, you can hear many similarities, bro, and that's, like, what these materials cover, dude!
California Accent Learning Materials
- The California accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Jim Johnson and Carolyn Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered most of these recordings during trips to California - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of The Graduate and other plays. You also hear it in films like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Valley Girl.
- This download includes BONUS tracks of Jim leading you through a practice monologue in the accent, including sound changes and intonation variations.
- These materials focus on the stereotypical "Valley Girl" or "Surfer Dude" accents of Southern California, though there are many elements of this stronger accent that carry over into accents up and down the coast. Other accents of the region are covered in the AccentHelp materials for African-American Vernacular and for Latin American accents.
Audio files (121.6MB, 124 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (9:28)
- Consonant sound changes for learning a California accent (6:05)
- Vowel sound changes in Southern California accents (14:10)
- changes in Diphthongs for speaking with a California accent (8:26)
- Pronunciation of a number of words in a California accent (2:52)
- Wrap up to learning to speak with a Southern California accent (1:20)
- San Fernando Valley California Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (7:07)
- Manhattan Beach California Male reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (2:39)
- Malibu California Male reading (1:11)
- + his conversation (6:42)
- Cambria California Female reading (1:23)
- + her conversation (1:23)
- Anaheim California Male reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (3:05)
- Culver City California Male reading (1:05)
- + his conversation (6:25)
- Whittier California Female reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (3:21)
- Bakersfield California Female reading (1:10)
- + her conversation (5:23)
- Clovis California Female reading (1:12)
- + her conversation (4:53)
- Napa & Venice Beach California Male reading (1:10)
- + his conversation (2:28)
- BONUS Text Practice (12:09)
- BONUS Text Intonation (9:09)
- BONUS Text Example (1:12)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.