Listen to a sample now!
Cajun accents are focused around the swamplands of southern Louisiana and into southeast Texas. Even though many younger Cajuns don't speak French anymore, the language still has a huge impact on their accents. You'll hear both contemporary Cajuns and classic Cajuns who speak very little English here, cher!
Cajun Accent Learning Materials
- The Cajun accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered these recordings during trips to Louisiana's Cajun country - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This is the accent you'll experience in James Lee Burke novels, and you can hear it from people like Justin Wilson, the Cajun chef. French Cajun still has a heavy influence on the accent, even for younger speakers who know very little French.
- When the Acadians were forced out of the areas in and around Nova Scotia, many of them settled in southern Louisiana swampland because the land was largely unclaimed or unwanted, and because they knew how to live in coastal marshland. They had a large influence on the New Orleans accent, and there are elements of West Louisiana & East Texas accents that are present in many Cajun speakers.
Audio files (72.4MB, 72 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (9:15)
- Consonant sound changes for learning a Cajun accent (16:26)
- Vowel sound changes in a Cajun accent (7:42)
- changes to Diphthongs for a Cajun accent (4:13)
- Alternate Pronunciations of Cajun words (1:33)
- Wrap up to learn a Cajun accent (2:28)
- Lafayette Louisiana Male conversation (6:21)
- Henderson / Breaux Bridge Louisiana Female reading (:59)
- + her conversation (1:55)
- Carencro / Breaux Bridge Louisiana Male reading (1:44)
- + his conversation (3:08)
- + discussion of Cajun accents (1:33)
- Eunice Louisiana Female reading (:58)
- + her conversation (1:10)
- Lafayette Louisiana Female conversation (3:46)
- Lafayette Male conversation (heavier Cajun French) (3:36)
- Abbeville Louisiana Female conversation (very heavy Cajun French) (6:10)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.