Listen to a sample now!
Yorkshire is the largest county in the UK in the north of England. The accent is sometimes known as Broad Yorkshire or Tyke, and is often considered a country accent, but because the area is so large, there can be a lot of variation, such as in cities like Bradford and Leeds - but there are a lot of shared elements that scream Yorkshire!
Yorkshire Accent Learning Materials
- The Yorkshire accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered these recordings traveling through Yorkshire - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Secret Garden and Wuthering Heights and you'll hear it on programs like Downton Abbey.
- The Yorkshire accent can seem a bit like a Welsh accent to some, and it also has some elements of a Scottish accent in it. It definitely shares some qualities with other accents of England, such as the accent of Newcastle. With so much in common with so many accents, it's essential that we cover what makes it distinct.
Audio files (90.8MB, 90 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (4:43)
- Consonant sound changes for learning a Yorkshire accent (14:05)
- Vowel sound changes for Yorkshire (4:23)
- changes to Diphthongs in a Yorkshire accent (4:56)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words and names when speaking with a Yorkshire accent (3:57)
- Wrap up on learning a Yorkshire accent (2:14)
- Huddersfield Yorkshire Female reading (1:22)
- + her conversation
- Bradford Yorkshire Female reading (1:15)
- + her conversation (:45)
- Middlesborough Male reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (2:32)
- Rotherham Male reading (1:22)
- + his conversation (19:04)
- Aston Male conversation (9:48)
- Leeds Couple reading (2:37
- + their conversation part 1 (4:38)
- + their conversation part 2 (8:52)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.