Listen to a sample now!
Standard British Accent (RP)
When someone uses the generic term "British accent" they're probably referring to this upper-class accent! Standard British - RP - should be in every actor's toolkit. It also has a huge influence of accents around the world because when people around the world learn English, chances are they’re learning this!
Standard British - RP Accent Learning Materials
- The Standard British accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Kate DeVore and Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered most of these recordings through rehearsals with British actors or during trips to England - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of various plays by Noel Coward and GB Shaw and also more contemporary, plays. It has a number of names: Standard British, Standard English, Received Pronunciation, RP, Queen's English, BBC English - but they're all roughly referring to the same accent.
- This download includes BONUS tracks of coach Jim Johnson leading you through a practice monologue in RP.
- Standard British is commonly associated with upper-class and older speakers. Today, even some members of the royal family sometimes speak in an Estuary accent, which is more of a blend of RP and London Cockney accents.
Audio files (77.1MB, 80 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints for learning a Standard English accent (4:37)
- Consonant sound changes for speaking with a Received Pronunciation accent (8:34)
- Vowel sound changes for RP accents (7:40)
- changes to Diphthongs for speaking with a Standard British accent (1:52)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words and names when speaking with a Received Pronunciation accent (3:01)
- Wrap up on learning an RP accent (1:16)
- Female Actress reading with a Received Pronunciation accent (1:12)
- + her conversation (2:57)
- Male Opera Fan reading with a Standard British accent (:59)
- + his conversation (2:22)
- Female Theatre Goer reading with a Standard English accent (1:12)
- + her conversation (2:32)
- Brighton Male reading with a contemporary Standard British accent (1:25)
- + his conversation (5:11)
- Actor reading in a fast-paced RP accent (1:44)
- + his conversation (6:05)
- Actress reading in Received Pronunciation (1:23)
- + her conversation (7:14)
- BONUS Practice Monologue (11:28)
- BONUS Practice Intonation (6:23)
- BONUS Monologue Performance (1:20)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.