Listen to a sample now!
Australia & New Zealand Accent
The accents of Australia & New Zealand are similar enough that they are grouped together. Learn the strong stereotypes - and the variations: You'll hear Broad Australian in movies like Crocodile Dundee, whereas Cultured Australian is more commonly used by Aussie politicians...
Australian & New Zealand Accent Learning Materials
- The Australian & New Zealand accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered many of these recordings during numerous trips - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and lots of other plays. You also hear it in films like Muriel's Wedding and Heavenly Creatures and from people like Paul Hogan and Hugh Jackman.
- Australian accents are usually subdivided into the categories of broad, general, and cultivated, with broad representing the strong, "bush" accent that many people are used to hearing in films such as Crocodile Dundee. Australian accents are fairly similar across the country - surprising for such a large country - but there are some variations which will be apparent in the included recordings. Most New Zealand Kiwi's have a shared accent as well.
Audio files (106.8MB, 111 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints (6:50)
- Consonant sound changes for learning Australian and New Zealand accents (16:47)
- Vowel changes in Aussie and Kiwi accents (18:31)
- Changes in Diphthongs for New Zealand and Australian accents (5:48)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in both accents (2:06)
- Wrap up to learning Australian and New Zealand accents (:55)
- Melbourne Australia Male reading (1:40)
- + his conversation (3:14)
- Melbourne Australia Female reading (1:00)
- + her conversation (1:19)
- Perth Australia Female reading (:53)
- + her conversation (1:13)
- Geraldton Australia Male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (3:45)
- New South Wales Australia Female reading (1:40)
- + her conversation (3:32)
- Eastern Aussie Male reading (1:31)
- + his conversation (4:46)
- Female Australian Student reading (1:16)
- + her conversation (3:45)
- Australian Female reading (1:02)
- + her conversation (4:25)
- Dunedin New Zealand Male reading (:58)
- + his conversation (2:47)
- 2nd Dunedin Male reading (1:13)
- + his conversation (1:43)
- Christchurch New Zealand Female reading (1:27)
- + her conversation (3:49)
- Christchurch NZ wife reading (1:21)
- Christchurch NZ husband reading (1:23)
- + their conversation (9:10)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.