Listen to a sample now!
New York City Accent
The New York accent is perhaps the most recognizable American accent worldwide – and it’s also one of AccentHelp’s most frequently downloaded accent training courses. This covers the varied accents in and around the city, especially hitting on the accents of Brooklyn and da Bronx.
New York City Accent Learning Materials
- The New York accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Jim Johnson and Carolyn Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered most of these recordings living in and traveling to NYC - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Guys and Dolls and lots of other plays. You also hear it in films and television shows like The Sopranos, Saturday Night Fever and A Bronx Tale.
- This download includes BONUS tracks of Jim Johnson leading you through a practice monologue in a Brooklyn accent, and then covering it in a number of the other accents of NYC.
- This guide will cover a variety of New York area accents, including the various boroughs (Brooklyn accents, Bronx accents, Queens accents, Staten Island, Long Island and Manhattan accents) as well as accents in nearby suburbs and into northern New Jersey and ethnic variations, such as Jewish New York accents. Nuyorican or Latino New York accents are covered in another download.
Audio files (95.4MB, 97 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints for learning New York (4:52)
- Consonant sound changes for a New York City accent (17:56)
- Vowel sound changes for Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and other New York regional accents (8:17)
- changes to Diphthongs for New York accents (4:47)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words when speaking with a New York City accent (3:01)
- Wrap up for learning to speak with a New York accent (6:45)
- Female Brooklyn reading (1:09)
- + her conversation (1:52)
- Female Queens reading (1:43)
- + her conversation (1:36)
- Male Queens reading (1:21)
- + his conversation (:52)
- Male Brooklyn reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (1:56)
- Male Long Island reading (1:15)
- + his conversation (1:38)
- Female Long Island Jewish reading (1:38)
- + her conversation (4:48)
- Female Brooklyn reading (1:13)
- + her conversation (5:04)
- Female Brooklyn Jewish reading (1:21)
- + her conversation (4:49)
- Male Bronx Jewish reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (4:12)
- BONUS Practice Monologue (6:52)
- BONUS Practice Intonation (5:40)
- BONUS Monologue Performance (1:06)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.