Listen to a sample now!
There are some variations in Boston accents, but they all share elements with the stereotypical "Southie" accent taught in this download. Bostonians seems unsatisfied with anyone's attempt at the accent - but here's your wicked key to nailing it!
Boston Accent Learning Materials
- The Boston accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered most of these recordings during trips to Boston - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Spike Heels and other plays. You also hear it in films like The Town and The Friends of Eddie Coyle and from people like "Boston" Rob on Survivor.
- Boston accents are similar to the accents of New York City and the Downeast New England accent, but if anyone is familiar with them, the difference is quite strong. There are examples from both the south and the north side of Boston included in this download.
Audio files (66.4MB, 67 minutes)
- Intro to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (3:35)
- Consonant changes for learning a Boston accent (9:35)
- Vowel sound changes for the Boston accent (12:34)
- changes in Diphthongs for speaking with a Boston accent (1:50)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in a Boston accent (2:04)
- Wrap up to learning a Boston accent (2:00)
- Southie Male reading (1:45)
- + his conversation (9:26)
- North Boston Male reading (1:32)
- + his conversation (4:16)
- Dorchester Male reading (:50)
- + his conversation (profanity) (5:29)
- Charlestown Male reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (3:04)
- Methuen Female reading (:56)
- + her conversation (4:36)
- Cabbie Male conversation (2:13)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.