Listen to a sample now!
The French accent is one that actors will use again and again for a variety of projects, whether it's Peter Sellers' over-the-top Pink Panther version or a more subtle accent much like Juliette Binoche in films like Chocolat and The English Patient. Pepe le Pew, eat your heart out, skunk boy.
French Accent Learning Materials
- The French accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Kate DeVore guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Coach Jim Johnson gathered these recordings over the course of many years - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Gigi and lots of other plays. You also hear it in films like The DaVinci Code and The Professional and from people like Gerard Depardieu and Anouk Aimée.
- This AccentHelp download focuses largely on Parisian French, which is commonly also considered the "standard" dialect for French speakers. You will hear a number of recordings of native Parisians, but you will also have examples of accents from all over France. There are some variations between a French accent and a French Canadian accent - in the language and the accent while speaking English.
Audio files (68.3MB, 69 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (6:11)
- Consonant sound changes for learning a French accent (10:56)
- Vowel sound changes when speaking with a French accent (5:19)
- changes to Diphthongs in an English-speaking French accent (2:34)
- Alternate Pronunciations of English words and some French terms (2:16)
- Wrap up on how to speak with a French accent (:53)
- Paris France Female reading (1:19)
- + her conversation (2:50)
- Paris France Male reading (1:54)
- + his conversation (1:57)
- Paris France Female reading (1:29)
- + her conversation (4:11)
- Paris France Male reading (1:22)
- + his conversation (2:29)
- Montpellier France Male reading (1:31)
- + his conversation (3:22)
- Nantes France Male reading (1:39)
- + his conversation (3:19)
- Civray France Female reading (1:17)
- + her conversation (:42)
- Alsace France Male reading (1:28)
- + his conversation (1:38)
- Toulon France Male reading (1:37)
- + his conversation (1:30)
- Chartres France Female reading (1:34)
- + her conversation (2:08)
- Marseilles France Male reading (1:52)
- + his conversation (:15)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.