Listen to a sample now!
The Canadian accent can be very similar to a neutral American accent - when it's light, but heavier Canadian accents are very distinct from most American accents. You'll hear recordings from all over Canada, from Toronto all the way west to Vancouver Island - with the sound of bald eagles in the background!
Canadian Accent Learning Materials
- The Canadian accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, leading you through the accent in a practice monologue, and two volumes of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered many of these recordings traveling all over Canada - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get a PDF of all of the written materials, plus the teaching materials come in three more formats: a small-format PDF, a MOBI for Kindle and an EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Billy Bishop Goes to War and lots of other plays. You also hear it in films like Strange Brew and on shows like Slings and Arrows.
- This AccentHelp download focuses on Canadian English speakers and will walk you through a stronger version of the accent, though you'll also find out what lighter Canadian accents sound like. You'll hear examples of accents from all over English-speaking Canada. Here's where you can find French Canadian accents.
Audio files in Three Volumes (200.9mb, 202 minutes)
Volume 1: Learning the Canadian Accent
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (6:07)
- Consonant sound changes for learning a Canadian accent (8:27)
- Vowel sound changes for Canadian (9:31)
- changes to Diphthongs in an English-speaking Canadian accent (6:44)
- Alternate Pronunciations (4:26)
- Wrap up to Canadian accents for actors (2:00)
- Text Practice (17:59)
- Text Intonation (8:55)
- Text Example (:58)
Volume 2: Recordings of Canadian Native Speakers
- Landmark Manitoba Female in conversation (6:07)
- Winnepeg Manitoba Male conversation (4:45)
- Red Deer Alberta Male reading (1:00)
- + his conversation (5:02)
- Toronto Alberta Male reading (1:08)
- + his conversation (3:36)
- Canadian Female conversation (3:43)
- Vancouver Island British Columbia Couple conversation (7:50)
- West Vancouver British Columbia Male reading (1:18)
- + his conversation (6:47)
- White Rock British Columbia Male reading (:51)
- + his conversation (4:44)
- Niagara Falls Ontario Female reading (1:01)
- + her conversation (3:48)
- Calgary Alberta Male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (5:26)
- Calgary Alberta Female reading (:55)
- + her conversation (3:30)
- 2nd Calgary Alberta Female reading (:50)
- + her conversation (4:15)
- Port Alberni British Columbia Female reading (1:08)
- + her conversation (3:22)
- Vancouver British Columbia Male conversation (2:24)
- Scarborough Ontario Female conversation (3:44)
- Winnepeg Manitoba Female reading (:52)
- + her conversation (4:04)
- Medicine Hat Alberta Male reading (1:18)
- + his conversation (3:13)
Volume 3: More Recordings of Canadian Native Speakers
- White Horse Yukon Territory Male reading (1:03)
- + his conversation (2:26)
- Goderich Ontario Male reading (1:14)
- + his conversation (3:56)
- Waterford Ontario Female reading (1:27)
- + her conversation (3:22)
- Mississauga Ontario Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (2:54)
- Winnipeg Manitoba Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (3:46)
- Borden Sask Saskatchewan Female reading (1:04)
- + her conversation (5:04)
- Calgary Alberta Male reading (1:20)
- + his conversation (3:22)
- Wetaskiwin Alberta Female reading (1:07)
- + her conversation (2:32)
- Vancouver British Columbia Male reading (1:07)
- + his conversation (3:29)
- Vancouver British Columbia Male conversation (1:13)
- + his conversation (2:45)
- London Ontario Female conversation (2:44)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.