Listen to a sample now!
Welsh accents included with this download cover Welsh speakers from the far north to the far south of Wales. The Welsh language is much more common spoken in the north of Wales, buy it has definitely had an influence on all Welsh accents. The border between Wales and England isn't even a river, so the west of England and the East of Wales can sound quite similar...
Welsh Accent Learning Materials
- The Welsh accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered these recordings traveling through Wales - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Dancing at Lughnasa, Under Milkwood and other plays. You also hear it in films like The Englishman who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain.
- The Welsh accent can seem a bit like a Northern Irish or Dublin Irish accent to some, and it also has some elements of a Scottish accent in it. It definitely shares some qualities with other accents of England, such as the accent of Yorkshire. With so much in common with so many accents, it's essential that we cover what makes it distinct.
Audio files (60MB, 62 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints for learning a Welsh accent (8:31)
- Consonant sound changes for speaking with a Welsh accent (11:56)
- Vowel sound changes for Welsh (5:04)
- changes to Diphthongs in a Welsh accent (5:23)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words and names when speaking with a Welsh accent (1:04)
- Wrap up on learning a Welsh accent (2:37)
- Llanelli (S Wales) male reading (:52)
- + his conversation (2:04)
- Caerphilly (S Wales) female reading (1:29)
- + her conversation (2:10)
- Erwood (E Wales) female reading (1:37)
- + her conversation (3:53)
- Corwen (N Wales) female reading (1:11)
- + her conversation (3:40)
- Corwen (N Wales) male reading (1:20)
- + his conversation (3:51)
- Cardiff (S Wales) male reading (1:12)
- + his conversation (2:10)
- Actress demonstrating Welsh (2:23)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.