Listen to a sample now!
Pennsylvania Dutch Accent
Pennsylvania Dutch is the accent of people living primarily in southeastern Pennsylvania, including speakers with Amish accents.
Pennsylvania Dutch Accent Learning Materials
- The Pennsylvania Dutch accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered these recordings traveling in eastern Pennsylvania - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent was used in the Harrison Ford film Witness, and it's commonly referred to as Penn Dutch and Pennsylvania German.
- The Pennsylvania Dutch accent is influenced by other Pennsylvania accents to some degree. The primary influence was German immigration in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is spoken by the Amish of this region and in other parts of the country, and it's also spoken by others who live in this region of eastern Pennsylvania. There are elements of this in Pittsburgh accents, and it certainly has a lot in common with German accents, too.
Audio files (120.3MB, 120 minutes)
- Intro to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (6:56)
- Consonant changes for learning a Pennsylvania Dutch accent (13:06)
- Vowel sound changes for the Penn Dutch accent (8:12)
- changes in Diphthongs for speaking Pennsylvania Dutch (5:59)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words in a Pennsylvania Dutch accent (5:04)
- Wrap up to learning a Pennsylvania Dutch accent (2:53)
- Rough and Ready Male reading (1:07)
- + his conversation (7:23)
- Leck Kill Sisters conversation (3:59)
- Klingerstown Male conversation (11:11)
- Red Cross Male reading (1:32)
- + his conversation (5:56)
- Red Cross Female reading (1:30)
- + her conversation (5:00)
- Dalmatia Male conversation (5:20)
- Mount Joy Male reading (1:20)
- + his conversation (6:05)
- Leck Kill Male reading (1:16)
- + his conversation (9:01)
- Two Herndon Males conversation (12:07)
- Dornsife Female reading (1:02)
- + her conversation (4:53)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.