Listen to a sample now!
The Detroit accent doesn't live in Detroit as much as it used to... Many people fled from Detroit over the years, but they didn't necessarily go too far. Because so much of the population has moved to the suburbs just beyond the city, the accent has migrated, too. 8-Mile isn't just a movie - it's a major dividing line between the city and the burbs that make up the Detroit metropolitan area.
Detroit Accent Learning Materials
- The Detroit accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coaches Jim Johnson and Carolyn Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings Jim made in Detroit and the suburbs around Detroit of native speakers - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This download includes BONUS tracks of Jim leading you through applying a Detroit accent to a monologue.
- Detroit accents are similar to Chicago accents, Upper Midwestern accents, and Pittsburgh accents as well. These materials apply primarily to the white speakers in Detroit. There are a number of Detroit recordings of black speakers included in the African American Vernacular accent materials. Many of the recordings in the Detroit download include people who live in the suburbs around the city.
Audio files (113MB, 114 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation and Helpful Hints (8:22)
- Consonant sound changes for learning a Detroit accent (9:03)
- Vowel sound changes in Detroit accents (9:57)
- changes in Diphthongs for speaking with a Detroit accent (4:30)
- Pronunciation of a number of words in a Detroit accent (4:57)
- Wrap up to learning to speak with a Detroit accent (2:10)
- Center Line Michigan Male reading (1:25)
- + his conversation (5:20)
- East Detroit Female reading (1:04)
- + her conversation (6:45)
- Livonia Michigan Male reading (:57)
- + his conversation (3:40)
- East Detroit Female reading (1:06)
- + her conversation (4:45)
- Rochester Hills Michigan Male reading (1:18)
- + his conversation (5:38)
- Shelby Township Michigan Male reading (1:07)
- + his conversation (4:52)
- Detroit area Female reading (1:04)
- + her conversation (4:58)
- West Bloomfield Michigan Male reading (1:06)
- + his conversation (2:40)
- SW Detroit Male reading (1:09)
- + his conversation (4:14)
- Detroit Male reading (1:14)
- + his conversation (6:05)
- BONUS Text Practice (9:44)
- BONUS Text Intonation (3:50)
- BONUS Text Example (1:11)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.