Listen to a sample now!
Irish Accent: South
This download focuses on learning a Southern Irish accent, including recordings of natives from the Counties Cork, Kerry and Limerick. This is the stereotypical Irish accent - much like the "Lucky Charms" accent you hear in movies like Darby O'Gill and the Little People, but they're usually taller than that...
Southern Irish Accent Learning Materials
- The Irish: South accent materials include recordings of AccentHelp coach Jim Johnson guiding you through learning the accent, using the text, as well as a number of recordings of native speakers. Jim gathered most of these recordings during an extended trip to Ireland - bringing the experience back to you in this download.
- You'll get four versions of the written materials: a PDF file to print or read on a standard computer, a large-format PDF for portable reading devices, and MOBI for Kindle and EPUB for other portable readers.
- This accent is appropriate for productions of Disco Pigs and other plays. You also hear it in films like Angela's Ashes, Circle of Friends and Ondine.
- Southern Irish accents have a lot in common with the accent of the west of Ireland, such as Galway. These can both be quite different from northern Irish accents and the accents of Dublin.
Audio files (73.4MB, 77 minutes)
- Introduction to Sound Placement, Intonation, and Helpful Hints for speaking with a Southern Irish accent (4:42)
- Consonant sound changes when learning an Irish accent for Counties Cork, Limerick, and Kerry (6:55)
- Vowel sound changes for this Munster Irish accent (6:30)
- changes to Diphthongs in Southern Irish accents (5:48)
- Alternate Pronunciations for words when speaking with a Southern Irish accent (2:54)
- Wrap up to learning an Irish accent for the south (1:16)
- Rossmore Cork Female reading (1:06)
- + her conversation (8:28)
- Cobh Cork Male reading (1:05)
- + his conversation (6:03)
- Annascaul Kerry Males conversation (3:00)
- Cork-Dingle Female reading (1:16)
- + her conversation (5:01)
- Dingle Kerry Male reading (1:36)
- + his conversation (2:07)
- Two Killarney Males reading (1:58)
- + their conversation (6:09)
- Limerick City Female reading (1:02)
- Limerick City Male reading (1:16)
- + their conversation (8:53)
Most of these recordings are made "in the field" so you will hear such things as birds, cars or other people in the background. A transcription of the conversations is included to help you follow along.
30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
If you aren’t satisfied with an AccentHelp download for any reason, just let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we’ll fully refund your money.
We only guarantee this for one download – we don’t want you to buy all of them and then ask for your money back and then just keep them… Basically, let’s all play nice, okay?
If you’re not happy, you’re not happy – and we’ll take care of you. But we think you’re going to be happy or we wouldn’t offer this guarantee.